I design user experiences and evangelize a user-centered approach to product managment. I'm driven to create simple solutions, to build outstanding products and to push boundaries. I love collaborating with product and engineering partners. I value clear communication, dynamic people, positive attitudes and great design.
I have been creating user interfaces for 15 years.
After a stint at a tiny startup during the first boom, I jumped into freelance web design. Later, I joined Wells Fargo's ATM group. I spent 4 years designing and refining Wells' industry-leading touchscreen ATMs, conducting extensive field research, and driving adoption of xhtml-compliant HTML and CSS methods to build the ATM UI.
In late 2005, I joined Bank of America as an interaction designer. During my time there, I led dozens of projects, developing info architecture, usability research, style guides, wireframes and prototypes for desktop, mobile and kiosk interfaces.
Since 2010 I managed a multi-disciplinary UX team responsible for many key core functions and elements: Navigation systems, site search, customer self-service tools, authentication & security, user settings and more.
After an extended run and tremendous growth in my time at Bank of America, I'm ready for a dynamic, open and challenging environment where UX is a core value, and I can be part of a team that moves quickly, makes an impact, and contributes to creating something great. I love ambiguity and thrive when challenged to solve tough, open-ended problems.
I'm currently consulting on independent projects as I look for my next major role.
Bank of America
Design Director / ux designer • July 2013 – march 2015
- Managed UX portfolio and design team
- Directed or designed key desktop and mobile UI systems:
- Led UX design process for high-visibiltiy projects
- Produced high fidelity UI prototypes
- Oversaw delivery of conceptual and detailed design documents, including wireframes, content, prototypes and visual specs for handset, tablet and desktop
- Utilized iterative usability testing and other customer research to focus efforts and evaluate design work
VP, Experience Design Manager / ux designer • September 2010 – June 2013
- Design manager for mobile, tablet and desktop customer service
- Managed a multidisciplinary UX team of interaction, visual and editorial designers
- Developed key IA, navigation and other extensible systems
- Developed strategic target-state UX strategies and concepts
- Partnered with executive leadership, product teams and resource planning teams to evaluate, establish and support timely execution of design deliverables for key projects.
Senior Interaction Designer, eProducts • January 2010 – August 2010
- Led UX design teams for key strategic enterprise projects.
- Managed contract designers and offshore design resources.
- Planned resource assignments.
- Mentored peers in documentation, project leadership & design
Interaction Designer, Sales & Service • January 2008 – December 2009
- Led UX design teams for key enterprise-scale projects.
- Countrywide Integration
- Checking Account sales
- Spanish for Online Banking / OLB masthead redesign
- Deposit Image ATMs – multi check deposits
Key Design Contributions:
- Led design of key enterprise navigation and module patterns
- Checking Redesign – led development of new dynamic content presentation patterns
- Spanish language toggle – dynamic link menu
Interaction Designer, ATM & Kiosks • December 2005 – December 2007
- Designed ATM and kiosk interfaces, including transaction flow, screen layout and functions.
- Created conceptual design proposals.
- Wireframed, prototyped and documented UI for all ATM and kiosk projects.
ATM User Experience • January 2004 – November 2005
- Led UX user interface design team, with a focus on usability, flexibility, and brand & platform integrity.
- Managed sophisticated projects involving dozens of contributors, large budgets, and thousands of deliverables.
- Coded & administered MySQL-based application to document and manage ATM translation & screen database.
- Trained staff in web programming and administration, and design/animation software & techniques.
- Designed and managed internal websites to collect, archive and disseminate critical business information.
Graphic Designer • April 2002 – December 2004
- Created production graphic assets for ATM interface.
- Principal & Designer • September 2000 - April 2002
- Web design for small-business clients.
98.1 KISS FM
- Marketing & Promotions Assistant, Sales Assistant, Account Executive • September 1997 - Septemeber 2000
- From intern to the youngest member of the sales team, learned the local radio business from the bottom up.
- Worked on air, moved to sales. Outside sales and business development.
- University of California, Berkeley – BA, Sociology, 1997
- San Diego Career Center – PERL Course Certificate, 2001
- UC Berkeley Extension – Project Management courses, 2004